Using spreadsheets instead of leveraging construction finance technology can cost real estate developers money and add risk to their projects. Commercial real estate developers should avoid using spreadsheets as their... Read More
How Team Collaboration Software Improves the Construction Development Process
The construction development process is complex, requiring interaction between several companies and departments. Team collaboration software simplifies construction project management by facilitating communication and tracking every essential detail.
What is Team Collaboration Software?
The term refers to a broad selection of tools that range from simple messengers like email to sophisticated design development tools like Rabbet. The goal of the software varies depending on the needs of the company. At their core, though, they all work to keep collaborators connected.
For example, a design team may simply need a collaborative platform on which to share files. Meanwhile, a commercial construction manager may need more supportive tools to manage every construction phase of disparate projects.
Rabbet enables you to keep track of every element of your construction project, making it easy to:
- Speak to your team
- Manage budgets and workflows
- Assign tasks to specific team members
- Assign documents to specific team members for invoice approvals
- Finetune your construction process
You can easily manage every aspect of the construction development process, from the design phase to substantial completion. It’s time to retire those tired old emails with “Re: Construction” in the title in favor of a streamlined tool that updates everyone in real time.
How Are Collaborative Tools Different?
Unlike email, which many check infrequently, collaborative tools focus on real-time communication in one unified platform. The tools usually include several ways of speaking to other team members. Users might, for example:
- Share files
- Send instant messages
- Add comments or notes to on-going projects
- Share and track documents with people outside of the organization.
- Set up tasks and sub-tasks
The tools make it simple to monitor the progress of each stage of a project. At any given time, the project manager can access the system and see which employees have completed their assignments and which still have work to do.
The system allows employees to reach out to others for assistance, update others on their progress, and reassign tasks according to needs. These tools also allow managers to set milestones and automate task assignment processes at each stage.
With all these options, these tools improve workflow and remove the need for as much physical oversight. The project manager can quickly check in with teams remotely, saving time.
Type of Team Collaboration Tools in Construction Project Management
Many tools today contain features that overlap across the following categories:
- File Sharing: Such tools make large files instantly accessible across the team network. This takes the pressure off the internal mailing system by storing files in the cloud and making them accessible from any location.
- Online Whiteboards: These tools are helpful when illustrating concepts and replace cumbersome flip screens and whiteboards in meetings.
- Cloud Storage: Cloud storage frees up company servers and can improve data security. It eliminates the risk of losing valuable info if one computer dies.
- Instant Messaging: Team members can send a quick message instead of composing a formal email and get an instant response. It’s the closest thing to being able to chat in person.
- Calendar Sharing: Calendar sharing allows teams to schedule meetings without playing phone tag. They also incorporate reminders and updates so that everyone is on the same page.
- Document Synchronization: Document synchronization tools are handy in the construction industry. Any changes on one document update instantly, ensuring everyone knows as soon as something’s changed.
The Benefits of Using Team Collaboration Tools
Savvy businesses benefit from choosing the right set of collaborative tools. The advantages include:
- Centralized progress updates
- Fewer communication gaps
- Faster sharing of files and information
- Improved insights
- Better overall project management
- Improved team morale and connection
- Fewer miscommunications
- A record of all conversations
- Better productivity
- Easier access to information
- Improved security
As with anything, there are some challenges to consider. Businesses must acquire their software from reputable companies. It’s also essential to set boundaries for using the system. Managers must fight the urge to micromanage, and employees must still use their discretion.
However, these are minor issues when considering the benefits of using such systems.
Experience the Benefits for Yourself
We can say a lot about how Rabbet’s unique software can transform the construction development process, but nothing compares to a real-time demonstration.
Get started by scheduling your free demo today to see Rabbet in action.